Today was a wonderful day. Aside from the fact that I thought I would have a heart attack as I stood up infront of more than 200 people to deliver my talk, it was very gratifying to give my talk and then go to teach the primary children. I always feel that I learn more than anyone else. So below I have included what I typed up for my talk. I hope that you all have a great week! -P-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the Bishop called on Wednesday, I knew it wasn’t just to chat about his son’s wedding. So when he asked me to give a talk this Sunday, I was glad the subject was forgiveness, because it helped to not hold a grudge against him.
My first thought was that I knew a lot about forgiveness. After all, I have three young children at home. I always have to tell one of them to say, “Sorry” and the other one to say, “That’s okay.” So there you go, that’s forgiveness. Now what am I supposed to do with the rest of my 12 minutes?
I thought it would be good to look up some scripture verses to go with my talk and as I was searching the scriptures, I began to understand how little I really knew.
I came across Luke 17 1:4. It says:
My first thought was that I knew a lot about forgiveness. After all, I have three young children at home. I always have to tell one of them to say, “Sorry” and the other one to say, “That’s okay.” So there you go, that’s forgiveness. Now what am I supposed to do with the rest of my 12 minutes?
I thought it would be good to look up some scripture verses to go with my talk and as I was searching the scriptures, I began to understand how little I really knew.
I came across Luke 17 1:4. It says:
Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!
2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
3 ¶ Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
It states very simply that if someone asks your forgiveness, you forgive them, even if it is seven times, you forgive them. It is not always that simple, but did you catch watch it said in the first verse? Jesus said “It is impossible but that offences will come.” Jesus knows that we will be offended, but he leaves us scriptures to tell us what is required of us. In Doctrine and Covenants 64: 9-10 it states:
9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.
Here we learn that we are to forgive ALL men and that if we don’t, we will have the greater sin. Why would it be the greater sin if we choose not to forgive?
In Mark 11: 25-26 we read:
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
Our willingness to forgive is linked directly to Heavenly Fathers willingness to forgive us. As we learn in Luke 6:37:
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
Our relationship with our Heavenly Father should be reflected in how we treat our brothers and sisters here on earth. It is not our job to stand in judgment or to criticize others for their actions. It is our job to act in love, the way we hope that our Heavenly Father will act towards us. Following the examples of Jesus can only help us to achieve this. He was the ultimate example of love and compassion, not being reviled by the lepers as others were, not casting a stone at a woman who had sinned saying in John 8:7
7 …He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her...
Even at His last moments we read in Luke 23:34:
34 ¶ Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
At one of the most horrible times in His life, Jesus was able to offer forgiveness to others, the very ones who were crucifying Him.
I can not say that it is easy to forgive someone that has wronged you, but I do know that it is required of us. If we choose to judge and condemn others, even in the smallest way, making fun of the way someone looks or making them feel bad for their actions, we are in the wrong. But if we choose not to forgive, we then take the greater sin upon ourselves. I believe that it is the greater sin because, first, we are not obeying our Heavenly Father, but second, we are allowing something negative to linger in our lives. If we truly forgive someone, we can move past that event. On the other hand, if we choose not to forgive and let the bad feelings we have fester, they can only increase the pain that we have and possibly knock us off our course back to Heavenly Father. When we try harder to examine the life of Jesus, we are able to see the full range that forgiveness can encompass. I know that it is hard to be that forgiving with others, but I know with prayer and practice, it can be accomplished.
We should all listen to the words given to us in Ephesians 4:32:
2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
3 ¶ Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
It states very simply that if someone asks your forgiveness, you forgive them, even if it is seven times, you forgive them. It is not always that simple, but did you catch watch it said in the first verse? Jesus said “It is impossible but that offences will come.” Jesus knows that we will be offended, but he leaves us scriptures to tell us what is required of us. In Doctrine and Covenants 64: 9-10 it states:
9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.
Here we learn that we are to forgive ALL men and that if we don’t, we will have the greater sin. Why would it be the greater sin if we choose not to forgive?
In Mark 11: 25-26 we read:
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
Our willingness to forgive is linked directly to Heavenly Fathers willingness to forgive us. As we learn in Luke 6:37:
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
Our relationship with our Heavenly Father should be reflected in how we treat our brothers and sisters here on earth. It is not our job to stand in judgment or to criticize others for their actions. It is our job to act in love, the way we hope that our Heavenly Father will act towards us. Following the examples of Jesus can only help us to achieve this. He was the ultimate example of love and compassion, not being reviled by the lepers as others were, not casting a stone at a woman who had sinned saying in John 8:7
7 …He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her...
Even at His last moments we read in Luke 23:34:
34 ¶ Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
At one of the most horrible times in His life, Jesus was able to offer forgiveness to others, the very ones who were crucifying Him.
I can not say that it is easy to forgive someone that has wronged you, but I do know that it is required of us. If we choose to judge and condemn others, even in the smallest way, making fun of the way someone looks or making them feel bad for their actions, we are in the wrong. But if we choose not to forgive, we then take the greater sin upon ourselves. I believe that it is the greater sin because, first, we are not obeying our Heavenly Father, but second, we are allowing something negative to linger in our lives. If we truly forgive someone, we can move past that event. On the other hand, if we choose not to forgive and let the bad feelings we have fester, they can only increase the pain that we have and possibly knock us off our course back to Heavenly Father. When we try harder to examine the life of Jesus, we are able to see the full range that forgiveness can encompass. I know that it is hard to be that forgiving with others, but I know with prayer and practice, it can be accomplished.
We should all listen to the words given to us in Ephesians 4:32:
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and lamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
If our Savior was willing to sacrifice His life for our sins, we should be able to forgive others who sin against us. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
2 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful talk and something that we can all improve on. I love that when I visit my friends' blogs I can be uplifted spiritually! Thanks!
Nice job Pam! I love talks on forgiveness because that is something we can all work on (especially now that I have kids!).
Post a Comment